For education on how a boxer should look go to the
World Wide Boxer web pages.
They have one of the best sites for this.
Next read Are You Ready For a Puppy? If you can read that and honestly say *yes* then you are ready to find out the most important subject:
just what is life with a boxer really like?
A boxer is an elegant striking looking dog if bred well; but, it is also a dog for a certain type of dog owner.
A boxer is definately *not* a dog for just anyone.
Here are some traits every potential owner should be aware of:
A boxer is:
- Stubborn: they can be very difficult to train as they are not truly *pleaser* type dogs
- Smart: smarter than the average dog, they have to understand why they should want to do something for you.
- Active: mentally and physically very active dogs. If they are bored and don't get enough exercise, they will become destructive and/or neurotic.
- Needy: they *need* human interaction and to be part of the family.
- Weather sensitive: Having short single layer coats and short noses, boxers are sensitive to both heat and cold. They are indoor dogs. Short coats give no protection against the weather or bugs, and shorter noses make them prone to over heating in warm weather.
- Protective: While many see this as only good, an over protective boxer that's encouraged to be that way can become a dangerous dog to others. They should be alert, but not aggressive.
Finally; what's a *responsible breeder* and why a puppy from one?
Here's an excellent article on why you want to be careful *who* you buy a puppy from: Responsible Breeding
And another on what goes on behind the scenes with Pet Store Puppies.
| Boxer Links | Site Map | Main Boxer Page |